Jack Canon's American Destiny

Broken Pieces

Thursday, February 6, 2014

#Author Bryan Taylor & How He Feels About #SelfPub


If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
It would be where I live now, in southern California.  The weather can’t be beat, and Southern California has the best theater in the country, both through small and large theaters.  I live where I would want to live.
Tell us about your family?
I am an only child.  This gave me more time to read, and I took advantage of it. My parents got divorced when I was twelve, and I ended up living with my dad.  He always pushed me to be successful and always supported me in what I did, so that helped.  Also, he was a preacher, and both my grandparents were preachers, and that is where my religious rebellion comes from. I have never married and have no children.
How do you write – lap top, pen, paper, in bed, at a desk?
I always write on my lap top.  Sometimes I will print out what I have written and write on the paper to reinsert into the electronic version since there are things you can see on paper you can’t see on the computer, but 90% of the time it is on the lap top.
Every writer has their own idea of what a successful career in writing is, what does success in writing look like to you?
It would be getting people to read my novel and knowing that my book is recognized as the funniest book about nuns ever written.
It is vital to get exposure and target the right readers for your writing, tell us about your marketing campaign?
The main marketing is through social media.  I have a website to promote the book, www.threesistersnovel.com. The website includes not only information about the book and characters, but a blog and new short stories.  I have Facebook and Pinterest pages where I put up cartoons and other visuals relating to nuns.  I have put together three virtual book tours, and I have done a Goodreads Giveaway.  I encourage people to read my blogs, visit my Facebook page, and tell others about The Three Sisters.  For someone like me who has a full-time job, this works since I wouldn’t be able to take off the time for a physical book tour, assuming I would want to endure one.  The problem is this doesn’t get me in physical contact with people.  That is the best way to sell a book, but doing everything virtually, unfortunately, precludes that.
Tell us about your new book? What’s it about and why did you write it?
Nuns just want to have fun! But when three former Catholic nuns have too much fun and get in trouble with the law, they become nuns on the run.
Driving back to Washington D.C. where they work at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Parts, the three sisters are arrested in Tennessee. After defeating the local deputy in strip poker, they escape from jail, and are pursued by the zealous Detective Schmuck Hole, who has personally offered a $10,000 reward for their capture on the 700 Club. Little do they know that when the three sisters visit the Washington Monument, their lives will change forever.
Set in 1979, The Three Sisters is a humorous, adult satire that skewers not only organized religion, but the government, the media, intellectuals, corporate greed and every other part of the establishment. Maybe not the greatest story ever told, but possibly the funniest.
How often do you write? And when do you write?
I try to write every week.  I write blogs both for the company I work for as well as to promote my novel, The Three Sisters.  Since the two types of blogs are completely different, I schedule different times for each.  My writing on financial data and the stock market is done during the day and during the week.  My writing for The Three Sisters and related fictional subjects is done either in the evenings, or more likely, on the weekends.
What do you hope people will take away from your writing? How will your words make them feel?
I hope my readers will find my book funny.  I hope they will be drawn into the book and be able to associate with my three nuns and feel what they feel. I hope it will also get them to think about religion and politics and the other subjects of the novel.
What movie do you love to watch?
There are hundreds I love to watch, mainly movies from the 1930s, The Wizard of Oz, Screwball comedies like The Awful Truth or Bringing Up Baby, pre-code Warner Brothers films.  You just can’t beat the classics.
How do you feel about social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter? Are they a good thing?
I’m not much of a Facebook person.  I mainly put up cartoons and other visuals on Facebook, but only do so periodically.  I am not a Twitter person.  I don’t see why anyone cares what other people say in 140 characters or less.
How do you feel about self-publishing?
Since I self-published my book, I obviously support it.  Self-publishing enabled me to get my book published the way I knew it needed to be published.  Self-publishing gets a bad name because of the bad content that is out there.  I downloaded a book from Smashbooks last week that was not edited and virtually illegible.  That gives self-publishing a bad name.  Nevertheless, if you don’t know someone on the inside track of mainstream publishing, or you aren’t already a celebrity, publishing mainstream is virtually impossible.  For this reason, I’m glad self-publishing is a viable alternative.

TheThreeSisters
Nuns just want to have fun! But when three former Catholic nuns have too much fun and get in trouble with the law, they become nuns on the run.
Driving back to Washington D.C. where they work at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Parts, the three sisters are arrested in Tennessee. After defeating the local deputy in strip poker, they escape from jail, and are pursued by the zealous Detective Schmuck Hole, who has personally offered a $10,000 reward for their capture on The 700 Club. Little do they know that when the three sisters visit the Washington Monument, their lives will change forever.
Set in 1979, The Three Sisters is a sacrilegious satire that skewers not only organized religion, but the government, the media, intellectuals, corporate greed and every other part of the establishment. Maybe not the greatest story ever told, but possibly the funniest.
Buy @ Amazon
Genre – Humor, Satire, Catholicism, Politics
Rating – R
More details about the author
Connect with Bryan Taylor on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment